- "Wherefore as by one man sin entered into
this world, and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all
have sinned... For as by the disobedience of one man, many were made
sinners; so also by the obedience of one, many shall be made just."
(Romans 5:12, 19)
- Read the first three chapters of Genesis.
- What is Original Sin?
The sin committed by Adam, the father
of the human race. By Original Sin, Adam lost Sanctifying Grace.
- Who were Adam and Eve?
The first man and woman, from whom
every human being on this earth is descended.
- How did the sin of Adam affect the human race?
Because of Adam's sin, every human
being is created with Original Sin on his soul and without Sanctifying Grace,
since Adam was the father of the human race.
- Adam's nature became "fallen" through
Original Sin, and we his descendants inherit his fallen nature.
- "By the disobedience of one man, many were made
- What else did Adam's sin do?
The gates of Heaven were closed;
disease, pain and death came into the world; the mind of man was darkened and
his will was weakened.
- "For the imagination and thought of man's heart
are prone to evil from his youth."
- Is Heaven still closed to the human race?
No, because of Christ's death on the
Cross, God reopened Heaven and made Sanctifying Grace available to man.
- "As in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall
be made alive."
(1 Corinthians 15:22)
- What happened to the good people who died before Christ?
They went to Limbo, a place of natural
happiness in the next world, and stayed there until Jesus ascended into heaven.
- "And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and
was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. And the rich man also died:
and he was buried in Hell."
- How do you get rid of Original Sin and obtain
Baptism takes away Original Sin and
put Sanctifying grace in your soul.
- "Unless a man be born again of water and the
Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- Was any human being preserved from Original Sin?
Yes, the Blessed Virgin Mary, whose soul
was created with Sanctifying Grace in it. This is called the Immaculate
- "And the angel being come in, said unto her:
Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
From the way God punished the sin of Adam, it is clear that the sin was a serious
one. If Adam had not committed it, there would have been no disease, pain or
death. So, you can see what a terrible thing sin is in the eyes of God.
Only unbaptized babies and unbaptized persons who never had the use
of their minds go to Limbo now.
Baptism does not restore the other gifts lost by Adam's sin, that
is, freedom from pain, disease and death, and the perfect control over
the lower nature.
The Church teaches that the human race began with one man and one
woman. Any scientific theory of man's biological origin must agree with